The Chief Revenue Officer (CRO) reports to the President and works in collaboration with colleagues as a member of the Executive Leadership team. The CRO is responsible for continuing to define and maintain our revenue strategy, architecting and integrating the revenue system, and designing and launching revenue generating programs for both new and existing clients, supporting account growth and retention across the entire organization
In this role, you will oversee SmartBug’s marketing, sales, and client services teams—effectively owning the full customer lifecycle for the agency’s retained clients—and you will be measured on both net new revenue and existing account retention and growth as well as overall customer happiness, measured additionally by 5-star reviews from clients. You will also oversee marketing technology partnerships, directing how we engage with partners to improve client outcomes while driving incremental revenue from these partnerships.
Grow and Refine Revenue Strategy
- Validate and refine ideal buyers, select markets competitively and set top-down goals and metrics.
- Expand SmartBug’s go-to-market model, including its channel partner strategy of martech partners (such as HubSpot, Klaviyo, Vidyard, CallRail, Rollworks, etc); private equity relationships; and other consulting partners.
- Partner with SmartBug’s leadership team to define differentiated offerings and go-to-market strategies.
- Develop brand and value proposition positioning that articulates SmartBug’s services offerings, corporate brand message and value differentiators.
- Craft sales and demand generation strategies including programs to maximize revenue performance from existing and prospective customers.
- Ensure marketing, sales, and client services teams work within a tiered framework that segments all SmartBug clients for the purposes of select, account-based revenue growth/increased wallet-share.
Attract, Hire, Train and Retain Talent
- Leverage SmartBug’s marketing engine and engage teams to evangelize the SmartBug brand, ensuring we consistently attract top talent.
- Ensure roles throughout the revenue organization are well-defined and have clear growth tracks to attract and develop talent.
- Support a culture of continual learning and development, particularly within the marketing and sales strategy and technology space.
- Participate in SmartBug’s internal mentorship program, mentoring 1-3 fellow SmartBugs.
Construct, Integrate and Manage Revenue Systems
- Implement predictable, repeatable, and scalable sales, marketing, and customer success processes.
- Use technology and data analytics to inform targeted buyer engagement and account growth strategies.
- Build a performance driven sales culture across the entire company, with specific focus on sales and client services teams.
- Partner with internal teams to define needs and maintain business ownership of the agency’s revenue technology stack including marketing automation, CRM, and digital channels (e.g. web and social).
- Develop a model/playbook for account growth that can be applied across all tier 1 and tier 2 client accounts.
- Structure and manage successful relationships with channel partners and ensure SmartBug’s service offerings align with key partners’ product roadmaps,
Execute Revenue Programs
- Lead demand-generation, new sales, and upsell programs to sell services and predictably meet and exceed targets.
- Execute target sales and expansion plans using content, experiences and thought leadership to build awareness and generate demand with target customers, industry participants and influencers.
- Build relationships with tier 1 accounts at the customer and executive level and work with strategy teams to pitch additional services.
- Craft and execute closed-loop sales programs to drive predictable lead conversions.
- Optimize day-to-day demand generation and sales activities driving buyer engagement to optimize revenue conversion performance.
- Energetic and charismatic leader who is equal parts visionary and executor
- Demonstrated success building a personal brand in the marketing and/or martech space
- Experience managing remote teams
- Extensive recruitment and hiring experience; ability to both identify and attract top talent
- Experience managing Director and VP-level talent
- Experience training and mentoring team members
- Sales leadership experience in a high-growth professional services setting or SaaS with a strong professional services function with annual ASPs of $180,000 to $360,000 ($15k - $30k MRR); marketing and customer success leadership experience a plus.
- Strong knowledge of the marketing automation, ABM and CRM space, specifically HubSpot and Salesforce. Knowledge of ecommerce marketing platforms Klaviyo and Postscript a plus.
- Experience measuring and iterating on processes to ensure profitability and overall revenue growth
- Strong business acumen; experience with multiple go to market strategies, including channel partnerships
- Relentless focus on understanding and serving the customer
- Proven track record of success building great relationships with leadership across the organization: marketing, sales, customer success, finance, product, operations, etc.
- Phone/video screen
- Values and culture interview(s)
- Demonstration of 30-60-90 day plan
- Final interview with CEO and/or members of the Board
- Reference checking
About SmartBug Media™
SmartBug Media™ is a fully remote globally recognized Intelligent Inbound™ marketing agency that assists businesses in growing revenue through content marketing, sales enablement, web development, marketing automation, and PR. For over 10 years, SmartBug™ has helped businesses increase qualified leads, close customers, and enhance the reach and loyalty of their brands. We are a 100+ person remote company that believes you shouldn’t have to compromise work/life balance in order to deliver great work, and we believe that you can do this from anywhere. SmartBug has been named to the Inc. 5000 4 times, Adweek 100 the last two years, and has won numerous Comparably awards for its culture and leadership. SmartBug is HubSpot’s highest rated partner in the world.